At the Suzie Outfitter, hunting black bears is one of our specialties. Our success rate is close to 100%. We hunt black bears on an area of 600km2 of which 205 are exclusive to us.The Abitibi region is known for its quality bear hunting. It is not uncommon to kill 300 to 350 lb bears each year, that make the Pope and Young standards.Whether you hunt with bow, crossbow or firearm, your site will be built especially for you. This will allow you an unforgettable spring black bear hunt.
Upon arrival we proceed to the verification of your weapon and we will proceed to a test of your weapon. Then we make the necessary adjustments to your hunting site, whether for the bow, crossbow or rifle.We will explain how you are going to hunt the black bear.You will have lots of tips and benefit from our expertise, to make your stay unforgettable.
Your hunting site
If you hunt with the bow or the crossbow all our spring black bear hunting sites are equipped with removable treestands to place at distances of 15 to 20 meters. Whether you are right-handed or left-handed, we can adjust the treestands to suit you as well as possible. So your shooting on the game will be easier.
You hunt from a treestand or blind over baits. We use a log bait to blend with the environment for those uncomfortable with treestands, blinds on the ground are set at distances that suit you. For hunting with rifles, firing distances vary from 25 to 50 meters either from a treestand or blind at ground level.
Baits are set up in such a way that the black bear coming in gives you a shot in the vital zone. We start baiting in early May. More than 40 hunting sites for up to 20 hunters a year are available.
We take our hunters to their sites and return them to camp when finished. After a shot, we search for the black bear as quickly as possible to avoid wasting meat and fur. And if the need arises we have access to tracking dogs to recover a bear and avoid any loss of game, and this with the greatest respect for the animal.
After the shot
After the recovery of the bear, it is then cut up, the meat and the fur are stored in freezers until ready for the taxidermist. We are also a recording station for the black bear. So at your departure from the outfitter you will have all the necessary documents to go directly to the butcher or your taxidermist and thus eliminate any risk of loss of meat Safety and success is our motto whether in American or European plan we will make sure your stay is unforgettable.
Items to bring for bear hunting
- Passport – cannot get into Canada or back to US without one.
- Your weapon of choice, rifle, bow, crossbow or muzzleloader and necessary ammo
- Bedding – Sleeping bag or sheets / blankets / pillow
- Towel and facecloth, soap and shampoo scent free
- Thermacell and spare cartridges and pads, mosquito coils, bug repellent
- Personal medications and medication list in case of emergency
- Bug suit and head net
- Rain suit
- Gloves, orange vest – It is the law here!
- Duct tape – We will explain when you get here
- Game bags – For meat and hide or extra coolers
- ATV – Not necessary but allows you more freedom to come and go
- First Aid kit
- Alcohol – (BYOB) beer, wine or spirits. We do not have it and the closest store is 20 miles or 45 minutes away, and the prices are high.
- Munchies – If you have a favorite, bring it.
- Fishing gear – Fishing is included in the package, so you may want to bring a pole
- Hunting and fishing licenses
Note: We don’t sale gaz or diesel, so bring 2×5 gallons for your vehicule.